Friday, December 19, 2008

My institute Niscort


  NISCORT-AVENUES GALORE 
   
 
 
   
  Media, the word we come across in contemporary times means different concepts to different people. Broadly speaking, it encompasses the larger society we live. There consists of certain elements or components in everyday human life which acts as a catalyst in conveying the right message across. These may be personal communication or interpersonal communication. Media should not be corporate instead it should be all-embracing. it can mean anything from mores, folkways, newspapers, journals, periodicals, magazines, newsletters, pamphlets, brochures, literature-short stories & novels, dramas-one act plays & skits, street theatre, tamasha, puppetry, diploma or documentary films, parallel cinema etc.

 I was wedded to the field of media from the phase of life when I was pursuing my 12th standard course. Then destiny brought Niscort’s doorway in my life. It was all very dramatic; FR. John Edapilly came to the peace centre at Guwahati, interviewed me and admitted me in the institute. Delhi besides being the capital of India is a hub for journalistic avenues. I landed at Delhi on the 10th of august at 1:30 in the afternoon, had my lunch at my aunty’s place at Sarojini nagar and came with my cousin to the institute. As soon as I entered the campus I saw our Dean of studies, our Director, System Analyst standing on the driveway as if welcoming me. The Dean of studies informed me that my mother had rang up just a short while ago as to whether I had reached our institute or not. 

I am overwhelmed by the facilities the concerned authorities had to offer. This comprised of internet (morning 8:30 – evening 7:30),a reasonable collection of library books concerning our fields as well as subfields, Reference materials viz; weekly journals, monthly magazines as well as the regular supply of national newspapers. With these tools, complementing one’s “food for thought”, what more can one possibly ask for. From what I have seen so far Our director, Fr. Jude Bothelo has the knowledge of “nuances” in the interest fields of media. He also has the power of “connectivity”. The campus has a certain calmness pervading it and let me add here that it was the same calmness which William Wordsworth experienced while standing on the Westminister Bridge with the Thames flowing beneath it in the wee hours of the morning. The next morning was the inaugural session of the first year batch and all were raring to go .The thing that struck me that day was guest Alok varma’s speech (ex. Executive producer of Aaj -Tak). The lines he spoke were thought-provoking and insightful. I will remember his perspective that being a media person, one should identify his/hers purpose and it is up to that individual to waver away or stick to that purpose. He also addressed the reality that all the media concerns are promoting “yellow journalism” as well as trends of “sensationalism”. He came in terms with the fact that media persons should take up the initiative and be enterprising enough to open their own concerns which will serve as a counterstatement to such disturbing trends which are unfortunately taking place in an institution often clichéd as the “fourth pillar” of Indian Democracy. After a week, our batch was shown the movies, Mr. Chaplin’s “the kid”, which was a comment on the hypocrisy of society. These formed our Film Appreciation sensibilities. The following four days we were shown Rahul Dholakia’s Parzania, Rakyesh Mehra’s, Rang De Basanti, Sub hash ghai’s, Black& White & last but not the least, the transcendental ‘Kayataran’ (conversions), which was Shashi Kumar’s debut project , who coincidentally happens to be the director of ASIAN COLLEGE OF JOURNALISM(CHENNAI).So the serious treatment of the subject of the ’84 Sikh riots with elements of philosophy, Christian symbolism was expected naturally from him. My institute has the right balance of value education, intellectuality, reasonable concepts and etiquettes which go long way much later when our near and dear ones are no more with us. We also happen to have here Fathers, Sisters pursuing the courses on communication from different parts of the nation, which completes the cliché peculiar of India, Kashmir se Kanyakumari tak.(indicating diversity).We have a somewhat fusion of cultures here, with Fathers and Sisters showing curiosity, keenness in each others cultures. This helps to break stereotypes. Personally, I consider Missionary Education to be an elite one as my mother herself was a convent product and I can boast that till now, I had no difficulty in English language as I had studied under her till my graduation. Celebrities have a somewhat perverted knowledge about things with most of their earnings shelled out on glamour and their prime investment being their personal care. Even then, we can give the illustration of Bollywood’s reigning superstar, Shahrukh Khan, who is also from Delhi. It is seen he can carry any event single-handedly with his good expressions in English , conversational-style stage anchoring coupled with his witty one liners and it is interesting to note that he is a product of St. Columbia’s, New Delhi ,run by the Irish brotherhood. During his studies there, he was also awarded with The Sword of Honour Award. Strange enough, but this is a discipline which covers literally, almost everything under the sky. Sociology, political science and history being its base it has concepts, derivations from subfields of studies as Statistics, Science, Economics, Geography, Anthropology, literature. 

Everything falling in the right place at Niscort, I will have the opportunity of going places. The ambience in the institute is a right mix of nature and studies to beat the monotony. 


No comments: